BUCKWHEAT APPLE CINNAMON ROLL ICE CREAM CAKE
“I like a company that is conscious of the environment, which is why today’s recipe uses Breyers® Natural Vanilla."
“I like a company that is conscious of the environment and ingredients, which is exactly why today’s recipe uses Breyers® Natural Vanilla. It uses high quality ingredients like milk and cream from American cows not treated with artificial growth hormones, sugar and real vanilla beans. The vanilla beans are 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified™ and sustainably farmed in Madagascar.” – Carlene Thomas, RDN, LD
Recipe Serves | 12 Preparation Time | 5 Cooking Time | ~30min l Freezing Time l several hours
3/4 of 1.5 quart container Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
1/4 cup salted peanuts
1/4 cup caramel sauce
1 large red delicious apples (or apple of choice)
BUCKWHEAT CINNAMON ROLL DOUGH
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons whole wheat buckwheat flour
1 1/8 teaspoon dry active yeast
1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 stick softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 Tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
additional smoked sea salt to taste
- In a stand mixer, mix all dough ingredients for five minutes until fully combined and smooth. Transfer the dough to a bowl and rise in a warm place for one hour or until the dough is doubled in size. I like to turn on my oven to the lowest setting and place the bowl in with a tea towel draped over top.
- When it pre-heats, I turn off the oven and keep the door closed. Once it is done rising, roll the dough into a rectangle so dough is roughly 1/4 inch thick. Note: this cake recipe will use half of the cinnamon rolls the roll recipe provides. Bake remaining rolls in a separate container and freeze for an easy breakfast treat!
- Mix filling ingredients in a bowl. Line a 8x8 baking dish with 2 leaves of parchment paper with enough excess parchment so ‘tabs’ are created to allow for easy removal of entire ‘cake’ after baking. Press half of the filling mixture in the bottom of the baking sheet on top of the parchment paper. Smooth. Use the remaining half and spread it onto the rectangle dough.
- Roll the rectangle from long side to long side. Slice in half and continue slicing each portion in half until you have 24 thin rolls. Place the rolls into the baking dish and rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and bake for 17-20 minutes total. For the first half of the bake time, add a separate pan of water under the cooking rolls on the rack below to steam them. REMOVE after half the banking time is completed. Once rolls are done, they'll be bubbling with filling and the dough will look almost dry and matte. Cool completely.
- Once buckwheat cinnamon rolls are completely cooled, scoop Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream on top and spread until smooth. Freeze several hours.
- Slice apple thinly. To keep from browning, toss in a mix of lemon juice and water. Remove cake from freezer and arrange apples on top in two overlapping rows. Top with peanuts and caramel drizzle. Slice into 12 pieces and serve immediately. Store additional cake in freezer, wrapped with aluminum foil.
Note: if you are keeping some in the freezer, I personally like the apples fresh every time. Feel free to only top the cake with apples you need upon service.
This recipe was originally created in 2016 by Carlene Thomas, RDN, LD, founder of Healthfully Ever After and a Unilever Agent of Change. Carlene Thomas was compensated for her time and services.