Skillet Mixed Berry Oatmeal Crisp
Krista LaRue RDN, CSSD, LDN
Sports Dietitian for Orlando Magic & UCF Athletics, Culinary Nutritionist at Love & Zest, Unilever Agent of Change
"Every little speck of vanilla bean you see in Breyers® Natural Vanilla ice cream comes from 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified™ vanilla beans."
“To me, a good ice cream has a bold vanilla flavor. I love vanilla beans!! Fun fact, every little speck of vanilla bean you see in Breyers® Natural Vanilla ice cream comes from 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified™ vanilla beans, sustainably farmed in Madagascar.” – Kristina LaRue, RDN, CSSD, LDN
Recipe Serves | 4 Preparation Time |10 minutes Cooking Time | 12 minutes
1 ½ cup fresh mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries)
½ lemon, juiced
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Small pinch of salt
OATMEAL CRISP TOPPING
¼ cup old fashioned rolled oats, raw
¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Small pinch of salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat four 3.5-inch cast iron skillets with butter or cooking spray. Place skillets on baking sheet.
- Prepare berries by slicing strawberries and blackberries into uniform “bite sized” chunks, leaving blueberries and raspberries whole.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss together berries, lemon juice, cinnamon, flour, vanilla extract and sea salt until berries are coated. Set aside.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Work with your fingers to mix butter throughout, topping should be crumbly. Toss in coconut flakes.
- Divide berries evenly among the skillets and top with oatmeal crisp layer.
- Place baking sheet with skillets in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until crisp and coconut turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Top each with ½ cup scoop of Breyers® Natural Vanilla ice cream.
This recipe was originally created in 2016 by Kristina LaRue RDN, CSSD, LDN, founder of Love & Zest and a Unilever Agent of Change. Kristina LaRue was compensated for her time and services.